Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Flying the DA-40...

Hey everyone!
So, as I said last time, I'm now flying on the Diamond DA-40 and have started my IFR phase. At the moment, the flights are pretty much familiarisation flights to get used to the aircraft, especially landing the little bird. I think it is slightly different from my previous aircraft, the DA-20. I think smooth landings are easier to make in the DA-40, than in the DA-20, but if a landing is destined to be "hard" then yes, it CAN be hard! If you flare too much, or too early, the aircraft just sinks down into the ground. But anyway, slowly slowly I got the grip of it, and I'm happy to say I've started to like this aircraft. The photo below, that's me with N4174B parked at Casa Grande Airport, after a (bumpy) flight from Falcon Field last week. For those of you who wanted to see a photo of the DA-40 only, sorry but you have to put up with the fact of me being in the picture :-p
Last Friday I also started night flying. It's cool, you see all the lights and stuff at night. It feels very different, and a bit strange until you get orientated to the fact that you are flying in pitch black at night. On Friday, I flew to Phoenix Mesa Gateway Airport and made a couple of touch and goes there. Ye landings at night do feel different, but I did get the grip of it. And yesterday night, I had my first night VFR cross-country flight, (yes I'm still stuck with some VFR flights!!) I flew to Tucson International Airport and it was a nice flight. Winds were relatively calm, and the air was so smooth. When we arrived at Tucson Airport, I made a couple of touch and goes there. It's an intenational airport there, and so you get some airliners going there. I was thus making touch and goes with a couple of nice big birds landing on the other parellel runway. It was cool and I enjoyed it. I'm also pleased with my landings :-) Today I have another two flights in the evening; a couple of landings with my instructor, and then, for the first time ever, a solo night flight! Yep, it's the only solo flight I'll be doing in the DA-40, during which I should be doing five landings in all, as a requirement to get your night rating. I'm really looking forward to it!
Anyway... besides flying... last weekend I went to an airshow in Yuma, which is a Marine Corps base. It was great! I took loads of photos (perhaps too many!!) and I enjoyed every part of the display! Next Saturday, I should be going to another airshow at Luke Air Force Base, which is said to be the greatest F-16 base in the world. The US Air Force display team, the 'Thunderbirds' will also be performing a display so it should be another great day! On Sunday we also sent to see a show with horses called 'Cavalia'. It was very good, a great show!
Anyway, I think that's just about it for today. Ah yes, one last thing... lately I've been behaving much like a typical American as regards food... yep, over the past five days, five 'fast-food' meals. It's crazy here eh... there's a fast food outlet in every corner and since it's so easy to get, you'll get it! But ye, I'm still carefull... don't want to end up like most of the population here... big'n'fat! Sorry peeps but I think you must do something about your diet here ;-)
Till next time!!

0 Comments: